Fast forward to May 2015... The cubs celebrated their 8th birthday in April. Mom can hardly believe how fast her cubs are growing up.
We still do a lot of this! A lot would be an understatement. 3 practices a week and games all weekend. We will do this until the kids don't want to do this anymore...because, as parents, that's what we do. We chauffeur, pack back packs, wash uniforms, sit in the rain, and support our kids, because that is what we do.
This handsome kid actually did make the decision to take the Fall 2014 season off. He had played with the Froggers since his "soccer career" began. The Froggers disbanded after the Fall season, so Zach made his reentry on a new team. Luckily some of the other Froggers ended up on his team, so it was an easy transition for him to start again this Spring. He loves playing forward and he still celebrates every goal like it's his first.
This sweet girl loves to play Goalie. As a mom, it is the position I would least like her to play. Every game I sit on pins and needles praying she doesn't take a foot to the face. I pray that she doesn't take the responsibility of a loss and is included in all the celebrations of a win. She loves it, so this is what I do.
In December, this smart little speller competed in his school spelling bee. To be selected he had to place 1st in his class (of 21 students). He then competed against 17 other 2nd through 5th graders. He ended up placing 7th and we couldn't be more proud of him.
Other major highlights: Emily was diagnosed with Dyslexia in first grade, so I have been consumed with learning everything I can. I have researched, attended conferences, and am in hot pursuit to make our school district provide the best tools for Emily and her dyslexic friends. I even put my stage fright aside to address the School Board in June 2014. I still have much work to do here. Watching Emily struggle is the hardest thing ever. Receiving standardized test scores makes me want to bury my head in the sand. I constantly remind myself that my daughter is not a standard kid, and I don't want her to be. She is an amazing girl...kind-hearted and dramatic. This is the reason I am "that soccer mom"....she may not be the best player, but she loves it, and her eyes light up when she plays goalie, and it takes her away from the hours of school and homework that she dreads everyday...so I will be "that soccer mom" as long as she wants me to be.
Zachary is still the biggest sports fanatic I have ever met. Don't get in his way when there is a sporting event on. He knows more that I will ever know about players, positions, teams....it's really crazy. I keep thinking he'll be a great sports commentator someday. Signing off now...it's a Sunday and we have 2 soccer games to get to.... Love, Heather
1 comment:
Love all of this! They are growing so fast and learning so much!
Post a Comment