Thursday, October 2, 2008

For the record, our cubs are NOT identical.

I am going to share this bit of knowledge with everyone and I hope that no one is offended. I shared my Hobby Lobby story with some friends because I thought it was so funny. It was several months ago, and some are probably wondering why I'm bringing this up now. It's because it has happened AGAIN. For the record, boy/girl twins can in no possible way be identical. End of discussion, no ifs, ands, or buts. It can't happen. Separate eggs = separate DNA. Identical means alike in every way. Anatomy 101 proves that boy/girl twins CANNOT be IDENTICAL. Not to mention that our twins look nothing alike. One is very much a redhead and the other is definitely a blond. Oh, and P.S. the one in PINK is a GIRL! (Steve's pet peeve!)

My Hobby Lobby story:
So I bravely ventured out and took the cubs to Hobby Lobby. My mistake to take them just before lunch time. I (of course) got in the slow line and the cubs were starting to get a little fussy. So I finally get to the register and the clerk comments "Oh look, twins! And you have a boy and a girl". I'm really not in the mood for small talk...did I mention the cubs were getting FUSSY?...so I just smile and nod, silently begging for her to speed this along. Now it's important to note that our twins look nothing alike. Besides the huge weight difference, Emily has bright red hair and Zach is a blond.

Then she says: "Are they identical?"

WHAT?!?! No one has ever asked me this before. Are you kidding me? She must have noticed the look of sheer astonishment on my face. How do I respond?

I compose myself and kindly tell her that they are fraternal, not identical. I must have had a hint of annoyance in my voice because she asked me "What? Can't they be identical?"

So I inform her that "In order to be identical, they would need to be IDENTICAL!!!"

I think she finally got it.

No comments: