One of my friends was in town on Sunday and I agreed to meet her at the mall. Steve was working, so I strategically planned to meet her after lunch. My plan was to put the cubs in their stroller and they would take their nap while we did some window shopping. Of course, Heather's Law (similar to Murphy's Law) intervened. Nothing went as planned. I arrived at the mall a little early, strapped the cubs in, and off I went. I managed to find a few shirts (I hope they fit because I sure didn't get a chance to try them on) and was still shopping when IT happened. The mother-load of all temper tantrums. I was THAT mother with THAT screaming child. Emily did not want to be in her stoller. She did not want to be carried. She wanted to walk, but she didn't want to hold my hand. Can you picture me trying to keep track of a very mobile Emily while trying to push Zach in a double stoller in between clothing racks that are shoved way too close together? This was not happening. I picked Emily up, put her in her stoller, and tried to get her strapped in as she was squirming and screaming at the top of her lungs. All the while as people stopped to look and shake their heads with sympathy and whisper to each other that thank goodness they weren't me. I have been that person. I have often shaken my head (especially in grocery stores) and wondered why the parent wouldn't do something to get their kid quiet. Now I was THAT mother with THAT child. The madness. So I grab my purchase, go to the cashier (thank goodness there was not a wait) and proceeded to check out. Then the guy asks "Would you like to apply for our credit card?". My jaw dropped as I asked him "Are you kidding me?". I should have asked for his longest application so I could fill it out right there at his counter while my daughter was having an out of body experience.
Monday, February 16, 2009
The mother-load of all temper tantrums
Labels:
Emily,
soapbox,
temper-tantrum,
Zach
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment