I just realized that I have been neglecting my blog...again. So far so good on the bottle elimination. We have been getting him to drink his Pediasure from his straw cup which is good news. I washed the last of the bottles and have packed them all up. Good riddance.
Last week we had a play-date with Kelli and her girls Maddie and Izzy. They recently moved towards the Dallas area, so it was a little further drive than before, but it was pretty driving through some areas that haven't been over-developed yet...there were still some trees! We spent the entire day with the girls and had a lot of fun. We love our play dates!
Matt and Beth Ann came over last weekend for a visit too. We always enjoy seeing them and the cubs love them. Emily Bear crawled all over them, she's such a funny monkey.
We have tried some new medications with Zach and none of them have really worked. We tried Nexium and what a disaster that was. It came in a powder that I had to add to a tablespoon of water, let it sit for two minutes to thicken, and somehow get Zach to drink it. I eventually used a medication syringe but I still had to put him in a wrestling hold to get it down him. Not going to work here. At $50 for 15 days worth of medication, I was happy to try something different. Or so I thought. Next we tried Prilosec. It came in a capsule that I could open up and put the "seeds" in a small spoonful of applesauce. Also created a horrible experience. I had to force him to take it in the morning and then he refused to eat anything off of the spoon after that. I guess he associates the spoon with his medication. It was HORRIBLE. It made him extremely fussy, he started skipping naps, and was just not fun to be around. So we stopped that too. I'd rather he eat and possibly throw up, than be fussy and refuse to eat at all. Now I am trying to re-educate him to eat again from the spoon. He still pushes me away without even trying the food first. So frustrating. I have finally contacted an eating clinic at Baylor to see if he would qualify and now I'm waiting to hear back from them. There has to be something someone can do to help him eat. It baffles me that he won't even try cheerios or Gerber Puffs, yet he knows to feed them to his sister. He has no desire to try new foods (or basically any food for that matter). Yet he'll put toys in his mouth, and things that obviously don't belong there (like cat hair). The other day I caught him playing with a strand of my hair, and of course he put it in his mouth just as I was trying to get to him, but I managed to get it back from him. I guess it's time for Mom to get a haircut. WHY???? Why would he eat hair and not food??? For the first time ever today I put him down for his nap without lunch. I tried three different foods and he wouldn't try any of them. I can understand if he tries it first and then pushes me away, but he won't even take a taste. I'm starting to think that going back to work and putting the cubs in daycare may not be a bad idea. Maybe he'll do better for someone that is not me.
I found a preschool for September but registration is not until March. I hope we can get in. It would be twice a week from 8:45 until 11:45. They have another class that ends at 2:45, but that would require someone else to feed them, and I can imagine that after a day or two, the preschool staff would be calling me to come pick Zach up. Non-eaters not allowed. Emily could do that one but I hate to split them up. I guess we'll just have to think about our options.
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Some more catching up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment