Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thanksgiving with Grandma and Grandpa Bear

I was really looking forward to Thanksgiving Dinner at my mom and dad's. I was really excited about all the new foods that Emily was going to be able to try out. I had a feeling Zach wouldn't be too interested given the past week, but I just knew that Emily would try everything. Even the cranberry sauce that I don't like myself. Of course Murphy's Law kicked in.

When we arrived home from the airport Tuesday night, I discovered that little Emily Bear had a small fever. I had heard that sometimes teething caused fever, so I gave her some Tylenol and put her to bed. Wednesday morning her fever had increased so we called our Pediatrician and was able to get right in. According to the Doctor, Emily had some chest congestion even though she wasn't coughing at all. We knew she didn't feel well because she was excessively clingy. We decided to still continue with our original plans for Thanksgiving, so with antibiotic in hand, we packed up the car and traveled to Grandma Bear's house. We left at naptime so thankfully the cubs slept most of the way. Once we arrived the cubs played outside and explored the huge yard (20 acres allows for plenty of playspace). We worked really hard at tiring them down so they would sleep that night. Once the cubs were in bed we were able to enjoy the New York Strips that Grandpa Bear grilled for us. YUM!! We knew sleeping would be a challenge because they weren't used to sleeping in pack and plays. Surprisingly Zach did pretty well, but Emily hated it. Poor Steve was up with her most of the night.

For Thanksgiving, Grandma Bear and Steve spent most of the day preparing the "feast" while Grandpa Bear and I tried entertaining the cubs. Emily was still fussy and clingy and just not herself. She had a very small appetite and did not try a single thing. NOT A SINGLE THING! I was so disappointed because I was looking forward to her trying everything. Especially since we only have a big Thanksgiving dinner once per year. I guess we'll just hope for better luck next year. I must give a big Thank You to Steve and Grandma Bear for slaving away in the kitchen all day and preparing a really great meal for us. It was really wonderful!

On Friday we packed up the cubs and came home. Emily was still being a fussbucket and we had so much to do to prepare for our move into the apartment. We didn't even get to participate in the shopping madness. Again, maybe we'll have better luck next year.

No comments: