Sunday, August 31, 2008

Couch-climbers....our little miracle monkeys

What an eventful weekend! Grandma and Grandpa Bear (and Baxter Dog) visited this weekend. It's always great to see my parents and I know they really enjoy spending time with the cubs. Plus Grandpa Bear always brings me some egg rolls from my favorite little Chinese hole-in-the-wall. YUMMY!

Emily, Zach and Baxter:


Another "first" occurred on Sunday evening. As I was doing some work on the computer, I heard Steve say "Oh God, Zach!". I thought something was horribly wrong. I ran into the living room in time to see Zach crawl up on the couch all by himself. We officially have our first couch-climber!! Not five minutes later we had our second couch-climber. Emily quickly figured out how to do this by watching Zach do it a few times. Now this may not seem huge to some, but to Mom it is beyond huge. It totally changes the dynamic of daily life here at Cub Central. I used to be able to do small tasks in the kitchen or perhaps do a load of laundry while the cubs entertained themselves. I knew they would be reasonably safe. NOT ANYMORE. I am going to have to play catcher of two cubs who like to bound off the couch at the same time. These cubs have no fear. This may be a simple thing for a parent of one, but when two are doing it at same time from opposite ends of the couch, it is quite frightening. Mom desperately needs a longer arm span.

Zach crawling up Mt. Couch:


Zach reaching the summit of Mt. Couch, and he's very proud of it:


Emily scaling Mt. Couch in a single move:


Emily at the summit of Mt. Couch:


Emily took her first tumble off the couch on Monday morning. Mom just wasn't fast enough as she fell and rolled off onto the floor. Luckily she wasn't hurt...she jumped up and smiled, and crawled back up on the couch. WHEW! Trauma avoided.

Soapbox time: I found another house to look at last week and when we called we heard the dreaded words "Sale Pending". My plea to realtors, please update your website so I don't continue to waste my time. If it is no longer available, don't list it on your site!!! UGH!!!

Zach's gastroenterologist suggested adding Carnation Instant Breakfast to his milk for extra calories, so we started that last week. He seems to be tolerating it pretty well. It's more budget friendly than the Pediasure, but I'm still going to give that to him as well for the nutritional value it is supposed to have. Since we started the Carnation he hasn't been eating his solids as well, so I'll be keeping an eye on that. I guess it is pretty filling. He has also been battling the dreaded runny nose (again) this weekend. I can't wait for that to clear up.

Steve switched the carseats around yesterday so they are now forward facing. We're pretty sure Zach has finally reached the 20 lb. minimum requirement. He now has the best seat in the car. Poor Emily gets a lovely view of the back of Daddy's head.

Grandpa Bear gave this monkey to Emily but it seems that Zach has adopted him instead:


Our little girl has a built-in homing device when it comes to our remote control. I used to be able to put it on the top of the recliner, but now her grubby little paws can reach it there too. She's very determined:


Husky had a bath this weekend courtesy of Grandpa Bear, and the poor thing needed it. Thank you Grandpa Bear! Emily cannot sleep without her Husky and it's nice to have him all clean and sparkly. Here she is giving Husky a kiss:

1 comment:

The Millington Family said...

Two adorable cubs! I just love the photos of Emily kissing her husky! And soon they will mater the chouch without the fear of them falling quite as much. One of our first visits to the ER was when Grant fell off... face first, no arms out... and we have ceramic tile - OUCH!